Re: [opensuse] Slow SSH, well sort of...
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:55:24 +0100

Sandy Drobic skrev:
Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
I'm on (any SuSE) a local machine, accessing a particular remote machine
running SuSE11.0 using SSH all plain vanilla.

From my local machine to others out there, things are fast as expected.

To the troubled machine (openSuSE11) things are slow this way:

I takes a looooooooooong time to log in. Once in, anything typed echoes
back as expected, for example "l" to get a directory listing. But - the
listing itself takes 10 - 15 seconds to emerge.

If I open two ssh shells to the troubled machine and keep an eye on the
live log (using tail -f /var/log/messages), I see nothing wrong. I see,
however, that the log entry for someone logging in emerges imediately,
but the actual prompt (in my second ssh shell) does appear only after
like 10 seconds after the line in the log is seen.

I do see one line in the log though..it says:

"Did not receive identification string from (my IP)"

I've seen trouble like that when your ip doesn't have a (reverse) dns record.
The delay is the dns query timeout on the remote server.

BINGO!

I'm absolutely sure that's it. Now how does one circumvent that...could I just enter my outgoing IP into the remote machines /etc/hosts and hope for the best?

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Novell Certified Linux
Professional 10035701