Re: [opensuse] MediaWiki For openSUSE 11.1?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:14:49 -0800
On Saturday 10 January 2009 08:30, Theo van Werkhoven wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I was pretty surprised to find no MediaWiki packages in the 11.1
distribution nor on the Build Service (there are auxiliary
packages, but not MediaWiki itself).

Am I looking in the wrong place??

Using the MediaWiki tar ball and following the directions in the
set-up script seems easy enough to me.
http://download.wikimedia.org/mediawiki/1.13/mediawiki-1.13.3.tar.gz

Installing a major component outside the RPM system is not something I
prefer doing, if an alternative is at all possible. (Yes, I'm aware of
an do use checkinstall in these circumstances, though my past
experience is that it only works for about half of the projects that
have "make install" targets. Maybe that's improved in later versions.)

I'll go this route if forced, but given the popularity of MediaWiki and
its open-source status, it seems like something that ought to be
included in the distribution.

Randall Schulz