Re: [opensuse] Slow SSH, well sort of...
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 05:20:01PM +0100, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
I'm on (any SuSE) a local machine, accessing a particular remote machine
running SuSE11.0 using SSH all plain vanilla.

From my local machine to others out there, things are fast as expected.

To the troubled machine (openSuSE11) things are slow this way:

I takes a looooooooooong time to log in. Once in, anything typed echoes
back as expected, for example "l" to get a directory listing. But - the
listing itself takes 10 - 15 seconds to emerge.

If I open two ssh shells to the troubled machine and keep an eye on the
live log (using tail -f /var/log/messages), I see nothing wrong. I see,
however, that the log entry for someone logging in emerges imediately, but
the actual prompt (in my second ssh shell) does appear only after like 10
seconds after the line in the log is seen.

I do see one line in the log though..it says:

"Did not receive identification string from (my IP)"

I read somewhere that this is caused "by the host not running ident.d" (??)
Anyone knows anything?

Does ssh -v troubled.machine (or ssh -vv or even ssh -vvv) show
anything interesting ?

--
Best regards / s pozdravem

Petr Uzel, Packages maintainer