Re: [opensuse] Re: Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:38:48 +0200
On Saturday 10 January 2009, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The opensuse 11.1 kernel isn't preemptible because of some errors. Try
compiling the opensuse or vanilla one with CONFIG_PREEMPT set.

No true, it is just not set. I change mine to "low latency
desktop". Also the "Timer frequency" in the defaults SuSE kernek is set
to for server use. You should change it to either 300 Hz (for a balance if
you do run servers) or 1000 Hz

gzip -dc /proc/config.gz | grep PREEMPT returns

CONFIG_PREEMPT_NOTIFIERS=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set

I'm not sure what you mean. I had sound issues with an emulator, and switching
to a preemptible kernel (CONFIG_PREEMPT set) improved the situation
noticeably.

For best multimedia performance, here is a list of settings:

,----

| General Setup:
| Disable "Optimize for size"
| Disable "Control Group support"
| Disable "Group CPU scheduler"
|
| Processor type and features:
| Enable "Tickless System (Dynamic Ticks)"
| Enable "High Resolution Timer Support"
| Choose your CPU type in "Processor family"
| Choose "Preemptible Kernel (Low-Latency Desktop)" as "Preemption Model"
| Choose "1000Hz" as "Timer frequency"

`----

Charles

Regards,