Re: [opensuse] Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:55:29 +0200
On Saturday 10 January 2009, Clayton wrote:
The default pae kernel from 11.1 (2.6.27) is causing some very
noticeable slowdowns, particularly in games like World of Warcraft in
Wine/Cedega, and not just on my computer... several other people are
grousing about the same issue in the Cedega community. It's not every
2.6.27 kernel though... seems tied to specific distributions like
openSUSE,and maybe even specific hardware combinations... maybe. I'm
not sure of all the details yet. It seems to be something to do with
the scheduler... and as you roll back to previous kernels the
performance increases... eg a 2.6.24 kernel is about 10 to 15% better
for gaming than a 2.6.27 kernel. Not so important for those who don't
game :-)

A little more on this.. it seems that more people are reporting
similar issues.. specifically with openSUSE 11.1 and 11.1 on nVidia
cards.

The opensuse 11.1 kernel isn't preemptible because of some errors. Try
compiling the opensuse or vanilla one with CONFIG_PREEMPT set.

See: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125947 for example

So.. it appears it's not just me that is getting annoyed with this.
I've been checking with other people running other distros, and the
same kernel versions, and they are not seeing these issues with OpenGL
applications.

I have not yet tried moving to a 64bit kernel - I'm DLing the ISO for
that now though, and plan to switch from a 32it PAE kernel to the full
64bit kernel/install and see if that clears up the problems.

Is this worth reporting as a bug? Will anyone be interested in
looking into it? Not really sure what to provide for information on a
bug report since it seems to be a real subjective issue.

C.