Re: [opensuse] Weather map
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:41:14 +0000

Carlos E. R. wrote:

From: Carlos E. R. <>
Now, what I wonder, is if there is some type of small weather map on
which we
configure the cities we are interested on, their positions, and we
get their
weather conditions on that area of interest.

Does it exist?

You could embed it somewhere other than a browser I suppose, though
I've never looked at how that would be achieved.

I'll try to sketch what I'm thinking of.

city 1
10ºC city 2
cloudy 12ºC
very cloudy

city 4
8ºC
few clouds

city 3
15ºC
Rainy

But instead of letters, having the same icons we get in the weather
applet, and clickable to get the details. The map behind can be plain
grey or a fixed bitmap.

This, of course, could be improved as much as the programmer wants... it
could even be a bitmap to be used as desktop wallpaper, updated now and
then.

It's just a kind of improvement on the panel weather applets we have.
I'm thinking I could perhaps programm it myself, if sufficiently bored.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Does not really provide what you are after but it might be worth looking
at what the UK met office is doing in their Firefox plugin.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/gadgets/index.html

Of course UK only... but maybe the Spanish equivalent is providing
something....

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup