Re: [opensuse] BuildService and freedom? (was: How to compile for i86 on a x64 machine?)
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:07:36 -0600
On Friday 2009 January 09 18:45:00 Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
The buildservice is intended only for opensource software, so in that
regards I believe you do loose some freedom (others might disagree) if
your project is not already opensource.

It is true you lose the freedom to infringe on others' four freedoms.[1]
However, it is commonly accepted that free persons in a free society do not
have this freedom. For example, I do not have the freedom to infringe on
others' freedom of life; I cannot murder. Another example, I do not have the
freedom to infringe on others' freedom of liberty; I cannot imprison others.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))

[1] Sort of. If you hold the copyright to the work in it's entirety, you can
license it under (e.g.) the GPL and, for others that do not want to accept
the GPL, another potentially proprietary license possibly at a cost.