Re: [opensuse] Info : VirtualBox Tutorial
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 09:55:17 -0600
Masim "Vavai" Sugianto wrote:
I'm writing VirtualBox installation tutorial for a reference.

http://vavai.net/2009/01/09/tutorial-virtualbox-on-opensuse-111-part-1/

I know there were too many article about VirtualBox installation how
to. It's also describe on wiki but I keep writing as my reference and
writing is my hobby :-)

Masim,

Here are some of the virtualbox notes I have squirreled away. Add
anything you
need to your reference. Thanks:

Installing Virtualbox i386 & x86_64

Pre-Install:

(1) If you would like to take a look at the user manual before taking the
plunge, grab it here:

wget http://www.virtualbox.org/download/UserManual.pdf

Install:

(1) If vbox OSE, Remove vbox OSE.

Software Management to remove OSE; or
sudo rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep virtual)

(2) Check/Install pam-devel

sudo zypper in pam-devel

For x86_64 installations, you must also install:

libxalan-c.so.110
libxerces-c.so.27

(3) Download vb binary from the virtualbox web site for usb functionality

wget
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/1.5.4/VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_openSUSE103-1.i586.rpm

(4) Install vb

sudo rpm -Uvh VirtualBox-1.5.4_27034_openSUSE103-1.i586.rpm

The kernel modules are automatically built by: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Post Install

(1) 20:07 Rankin-P35a~> sudo modprobe vboxdrv

(2) Edit your /etc/group file and add yourself to the vboxusers group or use
Yast->Group Management to do the same thing.

20:14 Rankin-P35a~> grep vbox /etc/group
vboxusers:x:113:david

(3)

Starting VirtualBox and Setting up your First Virtual Machine:

(1) Start vb from:

the start menu "System->Emulator->innotek VirtualBox" or;

the commandline with "VirtualBox"

(2) Create your first virstual machine by choosing "New" from the menu bar

(3) Follow the prompts to allocate RAM and the virtual hard disk space for your
guest OS. For windows XP as a guest OS 512M of RAM and 10G of virtual hard disk
space is sufficient. (from a console, check your available ram with "free -tm"
and disk free space with "df -h")

Note: the RAM allocated is taken away from your Host OS (openSuSE)
while the
guest OS is running. So if your total RAM is 1G and you allocate 512M for your
guest OS, that leaves you only 512M for your original host OS.

Also Note: the virtual hard disk space is allocated by default under
your home
directory which places the virtual disk on your /home parition. This is a good
thing since under the default openSuSE install your /home partition has the
greatest amount of disk space.

Laptop Note: by default vb assigns the "right control" key as the
"hostkey"
that is used to transfer keyboard and mouse control to and from the virtual
machine when it is running. Many laptops do not have a "right control" key. In
vb under File->Preferences, you can easily set the hostkey to the "right alt"
key which is a good logical replacement.

Installing Windowx XP as the guest OS:

You can either install XP using the install cd or you can create and
.iso file
from the cd and mount the image as the cd drive for installing XP. The benifit
of installing from the .iso image is that file transfer rates are much better
than reading from the actual cd and allows the XP install to be completed in as
little as 10 minutes instead of the usual 40-60 minutes. To create the iso,
simply use dd. (example dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/win_install_disk.iso) You can
then mount the iso directly as the cdrom seen by the gues machine. Installing
XP is the same as the regular install:

(1) Just pop the cd in your drive or select the .iso to mount as the cd drive.

(2) Press "Start" to boot the guest os and start the install, continue as usual.

(3) Configure Windows to your liking;

Install VBoxGuestAdditions.iso which contains the additions that integrate the
host and guest mouse and provide virtual display drivers that allow you to
resize your guest window to virtually any size. The iso is located in:
/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Installing the VirtualBox "guest additions"

(1) use the "Devices" menu to Mount CD/DVD-ROM and then navigate to and select
the /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file. The installer will
automatically run if you have autoload enabled, if not go the cdrom and run
setup.exe

(2) After the install has completed shutdown and restart your guest os and you
will have all of the additional mouse/keyboard and display additions. (they are
cool) If for some reason the driver install hangs on your hardware, just use
the "Machine Menu" and "Reset" the guest os. The changes will take effect on
restart.

Thats it! I have been running virtualbox for a couple of days
Quickbooks Pro
works great. No rebooting ever just to get to the accounting software. A thanks
to all that pointed me towards VirtualBox!

Configuring openSuSE 10.3 for USB support in Virtualbox

(1) Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules and modify the usb rule:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",
NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0664"

(2) Edit /etc/fstab and modify the usbfs entry as follows:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
noauto,mode=0664,gid=114
0 0

where gid=xxx is the gid from /etc/group vboxusers

********** Not My Notes *************

USB Issues, Install Binary:

The Vbox manual says thus:
"For SuSE 10.0 the mount command is part of the udev configuration file
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules. As this distribution has no user group
called usb, you may e.g. use the vboxusers group which was created by the
VirtualBox installer. Since group numbers are allocated dynamically, the
following
example uses 85 as a placeholder. Modify the line containing (a linebreak has
been
inserted to improve readability)

10.3

sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules

DEVPATH="/module/usbcore", ACTION=="add",RUN+="/bin/mount -t usbfs usbfs
/proc/bus/usb"

and add the necessary options (make sure that everything is in a single line):

DEVPATH="/module/usbcore", ACTION=="add",RUN+="/bin/mount -t usbfs usbfs
/proc/bus/usb -o devgid=85,devmode=664" "

The openSuSE guide says thus:
" This update also reenables the deprecated CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS option
for legacy applications. It is not necessary to recompile the kernel
to use USB devices in VMWare and VirtualBox and other programs using
the old /proc/bus/usb interface.

You still need to mount /proc/bus/usb if required by doing:

mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

or configuring it in /etc/fstab. The programs included in openSUSE 10.2
do not require this legacy interface. "

Well, here's how I did it:

The "mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb" command came back with: it was already
mounted.

So, I find that in Yast, that I cannot find the vboxusers gid.
There are 2 ways (I know of) to find it:
look in /etc/group
or
CODE

cat /etc/group | grep vboxusers

that returned "vboxusers:|:114:jim"
Note: That's a dynamic number: your's will most likely/probably/should be
different = look it up!

Then, I use nano (or your favorite editor)
CODE

cd /etc
nano fstab
change:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto 0 0
to:
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=114,devmode=664 0 0

Note: devgid=114 uses my number from above; don't use devmode=666 as that opens
up a security hole in the system.

Now I open VirtualBox. On the right window, click the usb button, click "Add" &
my Maxtor usb HDD was detected & added.
Now close out of everything & reboot to make it active (log out/in didn't work)

Upon reboot, start VirtualBox, start winxp, sit and wait a little & it should
detect the usb HDD and add it to Device Manager, wait about a 1/2 minute and
the drive will pop up & be available in Explorer.

Vbox with winxp should now be 100%.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC