[opensuse] QEMU Virtual Machine doesn't pick up correct DNS server
  • From: JosipBroz <web_dept@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:13:00 +0100
Hi all!
In my QEMU virtual installation of Windows XP I can't surf the Internet (or
ping by host name). I narrowed down the problem to the VM's DNS - it sticks
with the default 10.0.2.3 DNS server, although my host DNS server is
192.168.2.1 (i.e. my router). Of course I'm able to reconfigure my Windows LAN
connection so it points to the correct DNS server, but the problem is, this is
on a wireless laptop that roams a lot, so the DNS server will change as soon
as I connect it directly to my DSL modem, or connect to another LAN, or roam
to another AP and so on. Reconfiguring my guest OS everytime would be a real
PITA.
Now, is there a command-line option in QEMU to make QEMU pick up the correct
DNS server from the host network? Or alternatively, a setting in openSuSE to
make it forward the correct DNS number to the virtual machine?

Any suggestion welcome, except answers of the type "install virtualbox,
install vmware, switch to Vista, switch to Solaris" and similar... ;)