Re: [opensuse] Atheros AR242X driver with openSUSE 11.1
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:54:21 -0600
Doctor Who wrote:
Hi all-

I got my daughter a new laptop (Compaq Presario CQ50-142) for
Christmas. It came with Vista, but I've now got openSUSE 11.1 on it.
It's working well except for wireless at this point.

It has an Atheros AR242X wireless card. I'd read on one of the forums
that this would work 'out-of-the-box' will 11.1, but that doesn't seem
to be the case.

I was hoping some on this list had experience getting this working and
share how they did it.

Thanks!

Doc,

I don't know if you have it working yet or not, but I built madwifi
rpms for
11.1 and they are hosted on build service:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/drankinatty/openSUSE_11.1/

The key for me was to install madwifi and then go configure the new
interface
in yast to use the ath_pci kernel module instead of the ath5k module. Don't
forget to blacklist the ath5k driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. The line in
the file should look like:

blacklist ath5

Then either rmmod ath5k and modprobe ath_pci and once you have the
ath_pci
module loaded, the do a depmod -a to updated the modules to load at boot. Below
is a small troubleshooting howto I have squirreled away for the madwifi driver:

Installing, Troubleshooting and Configuring WPA
for the madwifi driver
on openSuSE 11.0 (works for 11.1 also)

Installation:

# First remove all existing madwifi rpms if you have a newer Atheros card,
AR242 or later

rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep madwifi)

# Get the current madwifi rpms that will support newer Atheros cards at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/drankinatty/openSUSE_11.1/

# After the install, start yast and configure the new network device:

Under the 'General' tab, 'Device Control' select 'Enable Device Control for
Non-root User Via Kinternet'

Under the 'Address' tab, select Dynamic Address

Under the 'Hardware' tab, make sure the Module Name is 'ath_pci'

Click Next:

Operating Mode: Managed

Enter your SSID

Enter you Authentication Mode, etc..

# Next you will simply need to start network manager and add and configure your
card. If you can't find your card, then see Troubleshooting below. Configuring
WPA follows troubleshooting below.

Troubleshooting:

# Check that ath0 station is created:

iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

wifi0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"rbpllc" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:1C:10:4B:2E:CD
Bit Rate:48 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:6B2E-5834-1B7A-1BA3-FDAA-484B-6E84-3B55 Security
mode:restricted
Power Management:off
Link Quality=44/70 Signal level=-48 dBm Noise level=-92 dBm

eth0 no wireless extensions.

# if NO ath0, then Create the station

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

# Check with iwconfig

iwconfig

# Bring up the interface

ifconfig ath0 up

# Insert the scanning module

modprobe wlan_scan_sta

# Scan for nets

wlanconfig ath0 list scan

# or for all modems

iwlist ath0 scan

# if key required

iwconfig ath0 key <yourkey>

# Connect to the AP

iwconfig ath0 essid "eddie"

# Get IP address

dhclient ath0

# or

dhcpcd ath0

# For fixed IP

ifconfig ath0 <IP address> netmask <netmask> up

Configuring WPA:

# To set up WPA config

wpa_passphrase "your_ESSID" "Some_Decent_PassPhrase_of_up_64_Characters" >>
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Edit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and add the lines into the network section
created above:

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
# proto=WPA
proto=RSN

Uncomment the proto=WPA line (and comment out the RSN line) to enable WPA.
Leave as is for WPA2 (stronger encryption).

Post back if your are still stuck.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC