Re: [opensuse] Journaling FS
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:16:02 -0500
Greg Freemyer said the following on 01/08/2009 04:35 PM:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Has anyone ever added an external journal to a mature FS?
Reiser or ext3?

I'm wondering of adding a new logical volume on my LVM for each of my
journalled file systems would be of use? How large should something
like that be?

Does anyone have experience with adding a journal 'after the fact'?
Or with the journal being on a LVM

I have not done it, but I can see the benefit if the journal volume is
on different physical drives than the primary volume.

So can I.
I can also see the advantage of having the FS striped across different
physical drives too, but this is a laptop so that option isn't open.

Is that you plan or is the LV for the primary volume going to be on
the same drives as the LV for the journal?

I'm getting sick of the FSCK in 11.1 "failing" and am looking at
alternatives. One it consistently fails on is the ext3 drive that has a
... well equivalent of "tune2fs -c 5 ..." Even on a clean shut-down and
clean FSCK the fact it HAS run a full FSCK seems to count as an error
that blocks the boot.

This is another anomaly that came in with 11.1.

So I'm considering what alternatives I have.
Yes, I know, using ReiserFS is one.

--
out of memory
we wish to hold the whole sky