Re: [opensuse] Getting KDE 3.5 With openSUSE 11.1?
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 19:48:09 -0500
On 2009/01/08 10:54 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz composed:

On Thursday 08 January 2009 13:50 (GMT-0500), Mike McMullin wrote:

Each time that I have installed 11.1 i586, I've gotten both KDM and
the KDE3.5 desktop. At the point where it offered me a choice of
Gnome or KDE4 there was an option for other, and I chose KDE3.5.

And I did the same. But clearly adding other patterns in the next step
interferes with that selection of KDE 3.5. Only when I took a plain
vanilla / stock package selection did I actually get KDM and KDE 3.5.

I did a 32 bit 11.1 HTTP install to RAID1 on a Cedar Mill P4 about a week
ago. I selected KDE3 and changed several patterns. As I recall, I:

tabooed SuSEFirewall2
added console tools
tabooed eye candy
tabooed games
added file server
added basic build environment

KDE3 works normally for me, though I don't recall if I ever bothered to start
KDM to do it. On an earlier 32 bit 11.1 HTTP install on a single disk system
coexisting with Factory and several earlier versions I remember doing about
the same, and getting a baffling KDM4 (instead of KDM3) that seemed incapable
of using the default KDE theme or a clock, but otherwise KDE3 behaved as
expected.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/