Re: [opensuse] Opensuse 11.1 for server ?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:11:29 -0600
Greg Freemyer wrote:

I joined the mdraid mailing list a couple months ago. I mostly lurk.

Most of the problems I see people have is when they try to grow /
reshape a raid array, or when they have serious problems and try to
fix it.

Surprising how many people post about experiencing a dual disk failure
and need to try to rebuild without restoring backups. Apparently
mdraid is a little aggressive about kicking drives out of the array,
because often they are able to get the array operational again with
exactly the same hardware.

I'm still a hardware raid guy, and having monitored the mdraid list
for a couple months, I'm likely to stay one until mdraid becomes more
tolerant of transient issues.

To be fair, hardware raid may be just as problematic in situations
where power supplies, cables, external enclosures are behaving
erratically. I just have not watched their support channels so
closely.

Greg

I don't beat up on my drives or anything like that, but my experience
with the
software raid has truly been that I set them up, check them once, and then
forget about them. I have had some spinning for 2 years now without a hiccup.
(knock on wood).

I am fairly cautious though. When I set one up, I used matched pairs of
drives
(nothing special, just 2 of the same type ordered at the same time) check that
all is good with mdadm or dmraid or just watch the bios output if it is a bios
raid, and that is all the thought my arrays ever get.

The only death nail I see, which would hold true for hardware of
software
raid, is memory corruption that spews gibberish all over you drives. Raid or
not, if that happens, you better have a backup handy...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC