Re: [opensuse] Journaling FS
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:04:15 -0600
On Thursday 2009 January 08 12:48:29 Anton Aylward wrote:
Has anyone ever added an external journal to a mature FS?
Reiser or ext3?

Nope.

I'm wondering of adding a new logical volume on my LVM for each of my
journalled file systems would be of use?

Not really. It's generally only done if you can make the journal device
significantly faster than the data device. Even then, it's of questionable
utility with write barriers in effect.

How large should something
like that be?

For reiserfs: 33M, IIRC.

Does anyone have experience with adding a journal 'after the fact'?

No.

Or with the journal being on a LVM

All my reiserfs journals are on the data device, which is on LVM.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))