Re: [opensuse] What's wrong with this IP address?
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:27:10 -0600
On Thursday 08 January 2009 11:20 am, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On 1/8/2009 at 6:13 PM, Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Thursday 08 January 2009 10:47 am, Greg Freemyer wrote:
I think some brokerage firms broadcast out various news shows to the
traders desktops via IP broadcast mechanisms. I assume they use Class
D packets to carry the UDP packets.

What is the advantage of this over what I think the general approach is
of using all one-bits in the rightmost part of the address not covered by
the subnet mask? e.g. (192.168.0.255)

Compare Multicast to Broadcast.

Broadcast goes to everybody, multicast goes to subscribers only. Can make
quiet some difference on a LAN.

Ah, I get it. Thanks.