Re: [opensuse] Re: Intermittent network access problem
  • From: "Hugo Palma" <hugo.m.palma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:23:30 +0000
Can't the process that requests the IP from the DHCP server use ARP to
check if the returned IP is already taken just before registering
itself with that IP ?

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lars Müller wrote:
On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:35:23AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
[ 8< ]

I hadn't heard of that option. Is packet sockets enabled by default?

In current kernels it's available as a module loadable at runtime.

What happens if a duplicate is found?

IIRC while setup a found duplicate causes the setup to stop.

What happens if a DHCP address
has been assigned and then someone manually assigns that address on
another computer, which IIRC is the case in the original message?

This is a more complex situation and I'm not sure if we're able to do
anthing than logging and informing the user.

Might we use dbus to pass a message to the end user sitting in front of
the session?

Lars

This still leaves the issue of the computer knowing there's a duplicate
IP address on the network. When a duplicate IP is on the network, other
computers, routers, servers etc., may get confused about which is the
correct computer and send packets to the wrong one. How would the
"real" one detect this, as opposed to some other network issue? Would a
ping to it's address even get to the NIC?