Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:09:36 -0500
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Very true - I have a few files that are identified as DivX encoded that don't
play. Running them through a transcoder can get them to play - accepting that
there will be a further loss of quality. It's all a bit hit and miss with
video encoding it seems - sadly.

The mailing list for the PS3 would be the PPC mailing list, since the
Cell is basically a PPC chip with 8 streaming processors strapped
on(and 1 is disabled by default, but only so it can serve as a backup
in case one of the others were to fail. It's supposed to be hot
swapped in from what I have read).

I've got a few 'mp4' labelled files that are listed as MPEG-4 encoded by
various utilities. I've found these to be as hit and miss as my xvid/DivX
files. Admittedly, I have a much smaller sample of mp4 compared to divx, I've
actualyl found mp4 to be even more picky about playing.

You should be able to install MPlayer from the Packman repo or just
compile it(my recommendation). It will handle any format you throw at
it. VLC is a good alternative as well.

I suspect you could get equivalent performance from x86 hardware though at a
similar cost? As far as I remember reading one of the cores is completely
unavailable as it is solely for Sony to use to run the PS3 and as a security
feature. It's a nice to do thing, but I ultimately found it a bit of waste of
time ... after all I couldn't play Call of Duty or FIFA etc. whilst in Linux

Yes, but if you could make use of the streaming engines for stuff like
video re-encoding, then it would be amazing. However, since I don't
have one, I can't say if that is possible. What do you get when you
run:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

As for the RAM issue, they have been able to make use of the video RAM
as swap or something like that, and that makes a big difference from
what I have heard. I've been debating picking one up, but it's a big
out of my budget right now. And, the PS2, which can also run Linux,
only has 32MB RAM.