Re: [opensuse] Default install creates /etc/.pwd.lock in 11.1
  • From: auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:26:47 +0200
On Thursday 08 January 2009, Josef Wolf wrote:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:17:26AM +0200, auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have /etc/.pwd.lock here dating back to 2006, so I don't think it's
related to the problem.

When I removed the file, the problem disappeared.

Weird, I still have the file here and groupadd foo returns immediately.

On the other hand, nscd is very buggy and crashes at least once a day
here.

Hmm, I have no clue why nscd is installed at all... I have not installed
it intentionally. I only learned about its existance while I was tracking
down the problem.

It's meant to be a name service caching daemon, when it doesn't crash that
is...

This looks like a problem with name resolution to me, check
/etc/hosts for the localhost entry.

$ grep 127 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.2 raven.my.domain raven
$

OK

In order to investigate this further, try
"strace ls" in an empty directory and check where it spends most time.

Before I wrote my first mail of this thread, I have actually done

strace groupadd foo

and it _was_ actually hanging trying to flock(2) /etc/.pwd.lock. The
problem was perfectly reproducible: I have reinstalled three times
just to figure out where the file came from and to make sure that it
was not me causing the problem.

groupadd foo simply opens /etc/.pwd.lock here, no flock occurs.

Now, I have re-created the file with "touch /etc/.pwd.lock", and it does
_not_ hang anymore.

Guess, I have to reinstall to reproduce the problem again.

Anyway, a stale lock file should _not_ exist in a clean install. And even
_if_ it exists, this situation should be detected and removed, IMHO.

Thanks for your comment!

If I remove /etc/.pwd.lock, groupadd creates it again. I still don't think the
problem is /etc/.pwd.lock, maybe /etc/ is accessed via NFS?

Regards