Re: [opensuse] Opensuse 11.1 for server ?
  • From: Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:08:29 +0100
Am Donnerstag 08 Januar 2009 09:47:13 schrieb Arie Reynaldi Z:
I have an x86_64 11.1 server configured with no problems whatsoever with
apache2 with SSL, BIND 9 DNS, dhcpd providing dynamic updates via TSIGs
to BIND, samba providing shares, and pptpd VPN working just fine. The
core server packages seem OK. It just sucks when I have to look at the
screen ;-)

What about soft RAID 1 (mirror) ? I do need it because in my
experience HD failure happens.. RAID 1 and backup every night really
helpful.. And what filesystem that recommend for server ? XFS or stick
with ext3 ?

xfs and ext3 both are fine. xfs is told to be better for larger files.

There is no problem with RAID1, but with other RADI-Levels, because journaling
file systems need barrier support and only RADI1 implements that. LVM does not
support write barriers, too.

if data integrity is important for you, you shall not use LVM or any RAID
except RAID1.

Herbert