Re: [opensuse] Strange "PermissionDeniedByPolicy" Problem with 11.1
  • From: Rainer Krienke <krienke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 11:34:19 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 8. Januar 2009 11:01:22 schrieb Marcus Meissner:

The problem is I do not yet see the difference betwenn the two system.
Any idea where these policies could be defined if not in
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf ?

The permission is denied by PolicyKit, not by the dbus-1 access layer.

/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/ is the place to look at,
and you can modify it per user if you want.

In betwenn I reinstalled the polkit-default-privs package
on the system where I have problems just as a try, even if I did not modify
the files contained in the package (/etc/polkit-default-
privs.localprivs.restrictive, and privs.standard). Now when I try to hibernate
the system it still does not work and polkit-auth still returns no output but
the error message has changed:

$ powersave -U
Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate auth_admin_keep_always <--
(action, result)

Next I looked in

/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.policy
there is this entry:

<action id="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate">
<description>Hibernate the system</description>
<message>System policy prevents hibernating the system</message>
<defaults>
<allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>

This entry however is identicylly on both system: On the system where I can
say powersave -U (start hibernate) and on the system where I get the Error
message.

In /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy there is
also an entry:

<action id="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
<description>Mount file systems from removable drives.</description>
<message>System policy prevents mounting removable media</message>
<defaults>
<allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>

But when I try to access a USB stick via dolphin it tells me:
PermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable
auth_admin_keep_always <-(action,result) and the usb stick is not displayed in
dolphin. And again on both systems the org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy file
is identical on both systems.

I have really no idea whats going on. The system where policykit has problems
is a system with NIS running autofs running and without local (non-system)
users. Could this cause any trouble (it did not however from suse8* to
suse11.0, with generally identical installation) ?

Thanks
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse 1
56070 Koblenz, http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312