Re: [opensuse] More Samba Help
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 02:45:23 -0600
Donald D Henson wrote:
(Linux Earth-svr 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux)
(SAMBA 3.2.4-5.2)
(MS Windows xp home/pro)
My SOHO system consists of two Linux workstations, each with some
network functions, a Windows XP pro laptop, and a Windows XP Home
notebook. All are connected via a local net using cat 5 cable or wifi. I
have a ton of tech data on Samba, from how to get it to how to
administer a large network using Samba. (I think my problem is too much
data.) All I want is to publish a folder on any of the machines that
can be opened by any other machine. Can anyone give me a simple
step-by-step procedure for doing that? Any help appreciated.

Don,

If you still have problems after putting the smb.conf in place I sent,
write
back. Just remember that after you put the smb.conf in place, you will have to
create samba accounts for each of your users that will access the shares. To
create the samba accounts use smbpasswd -a username. Use the normal unix
username for the samba accounts and then use the SAME password that the windows
users use to log into their machines as the smbpasswd and make sure they are
using the same usernames on windows and on linux. That helps windows
auto-negotiate authentication for share access.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC