[opensuse] Media mystery.
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 03:22:15 -0500
I've run across a DVD that is quite different than any other I've seen
and would like to know if anyone here knows the "story" with this type
of disk.

First, the DVD is a Disney DVD, "The Chronicles of Narnia Prince
Caspian." It plays fine on my desktop and DVD player. I wanted to make
an archival copy, because my grandchildren like to watch some movies
often (this is one of them), I make a copy to view and store the
original. Yes....I use K9Copy.

Now, if I open the disk with Konq. or Dolphin, they tell me the total
number of files is 153 and the total size is 72.9G!! The disk cover says
it's a dual layer DVD. It contains English, French, and Spanish
languages. I'm presently extracting only the English files in K9Copy and
already (compressed of course) have a total of almost 7G and it's not
done yet!!

Can anyone explain what Disney has managed to do to get this much on a
dual layer DVD, which I had assumed wouldn't even play on an old DVD player?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."