Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:53:17 +0800
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 18:24:48 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 04:24:21 Jonathan Ervine wrote:
I think it supports WMV, DivX, and possibly other video codecs, but the
range is very limited.

Unfortunately, neither xvid nor divx is one single codec, there are several
different variations you can set when encoding, and the PS3 can only handle
a subset of those variations. So just because a file is divx or xvid, you
still can't be sure it will play.

I still don't know exactly what it can handle, I just know I had to do some
extensive fiddling with the enoding parameters before I managed to get it
to play.

Very true - I have a few files that are identified as DivX encoded that don't
play. Running them through a transcoder can get them to play - accepting that
there will be a further loss of quality. It's all a bit hit and miss with
video encoding it seems - sadly.

Its "native" format is MP4, I think. I haven't tried too much with that
though

I've got a few 'mp4' labelled files that are listed as MPEG-4 encoded by
various utilities. I've found these to be as hit and miss as my xvid/DivX
files. Admittedly, I have a much smaller sample of mp4 compared to divx, I've
actualyl found mp4 to be even more picky about playing.

Would tend to agree with this. Having installed Linux on my PS3 I was, to
say the least, underwhelmed. The PS3 doesn't have a massive amount of
memory available, and has limited the accessibility to the hardware
(graphics in particular). Would make for a nice server I guess.

For CPU bound activities, it is a very nice machine

I suspect you could get equivalent performance from x86 hardware though at a
similar cost? As far as I remember reading one of the cores is completely
unavailable as it is solely for Sony to use to run the PS3 and as a security
feature. It's a nice to do thing, but I ultimately found it a bit of waste of
time ... after all I couldn't play Call of Duty or FIFA etc. whilst in Linux
:)