Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem (more)
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:12:50 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

From: Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
OK, I disabled the onboard serial using the BIOS setup. Now none of the
serial
ports report settings from stty. Now /dev/ttyS[0123] _all_ report
Input/Output
error, so that's clearly not a report indicating that a half-cocked device
has
been found. I guess that's a step forward.

Meanwhile, hwinfo reports a product: '56K WinModem' or 'LT WinModem 56K
Data +
FAX' -- Is that one of those dreadful things that isn't really a device, and
has
to have proprietary drivers to work? Do I need to install a kernel module to
drive it? Or should it go in the trash?

I'm reading late the thread, but what I was going to suggest: " hwinfo -
--modem" finds and report on the modem. In your case, it would have reported
the
port if it existed.

And yes, you need drivers. I have no idea which, sorry: if I find one of
those
modems it goes out the way it went in. I don't want any softmodem near me.

Well, as you have real serial ports in your machine, I would try getting an
external modem via serial port. They work (almost) always.

Bleargh, I think you're right. I loaded the "softmodem" stuff that I found in
the distro, and it says that it doesn't support FAX functionality, so I
guess--since that's all I wanted to do with this thing anyway--I'll have to
give up until I can find a nice cheap external FAX modem

Look out Craigslist, here I come :)

(Anyone in the Denver area want to get rid of an external faxmodem?)

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz