Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem (more)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:51:22 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2009-01-07 at 12:33 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:

OK, I disabled the onboard serial using the BIOS setup. Now none of the serial ports report settings from stty. Now /dev/ttyS[0123] _all_ report Input/Output error, so that's clearly not a report indicating that a half-cocked device has been found. I guess that's a step forward.

Meanwhile, hwinfo reports a product: '56K WinModem' or 'LT WinModem 56K Data + FAX' -- Is that one of those dreadful things that isn't really a device, and has to have proprietary drivers to work? Do I need to install a kernel module to drive it? Or should it go in the trash?

I'm reading late the thread, but what I was going to suggest: " hwinfo - --modem" finds and report on the modem. In your case, it would have reported the port if it existed.

And yes, you need drivers. I have no idea which, sorry: if I find one of those modems it goes out the way it went in. I don't want any softmodem near me.

Well, as you have real serial ports in your machine, I would try getting an external modem via serial port. They work (almost) always.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.