Re: [opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:02:28 -0500
On 2009/01/07 10:23 (GMT-0600) L. V. Lammert composed:

At 11:02 AM 1/7/2009 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

While "living", there is no distinction between logical and primary
partitions, so "life" is possible anywhere.

Of course, .. but some OSs are not as tolerant of logical partitions.

Which might those be? I nearly always install Windoz to logical D:. The only
problems that arise from that has nothing to do with the OS, but only from
brain dead installation programs that assume windoz lives on C:. That's
actually a welcome behavior, because many of those brain dead apps are
trojans and viruses.

I virtually always create at least 4 primary partitions, the last being the
extended, with the extended always being last among the 4 MBR partition table
entries. That keeps the logical partition progression equal to the physical
partition progression.

Please expand - someone else mentioned keeping the logical partition at the
end of the disk. Is there any concrete reason for this? I can't imaging an
OS caring that the cylinders/sectors of sda3 are physically located after
sda7?

One reason is it is easier on humans using partitioning utilities when
logicals and primaries are not mixed up with each other, such as can easily
happen if less than a whole disk is partitioned initially, and later an
additional primary is added that also does not use the whole remaining
freespace. That can leave a big unused and unusable freespace at the end of
the disk that can only be made usable by deleting partitions.

Another stems from repartitioning after more than one OS has been installed,
which can cause existing devices to acquire new names if physical order
didn't match logical order.

Another reason, indirectly, is a want to segregate programs and data
according to relative disk speed. Usually the fastest part is up front, while
the slowest at the end. I want my swap and OS on the fast end, the front, or
near thereto. Conversely, I wouldn't want the fastest part of the disk mostly
wasted on empty space in a /home or media file storage location with mostly
infrequently used files.

And, I never ever put Grub on the MBR. I have more than 30 working puters,
most of which have more than one Linux on
them, and SUSE more than any other.

Now THAT needs explaining, please! I am pretty sure that this is the

http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F
http://fm.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html

The system I'm currently preparing to replace my existing file & web server:
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/fi965L02.txt

My current file & web server: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/a-865L01.txt

My previous file & web server: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/ax5t3-ok.txt

A new backup server & rsync host: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/big31L02.txt

The system from which I'm writing this: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/e965.txt

3 of my systems used mainly for testing software:
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/gx260.txt
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/kt880L02.txt
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/m7ncdL0c.txt

The system connected to my TV: http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/dfsee/gx270L01.txt

problem is what hosed the system boot - formatting sda2 & sda3 caused the
partition table to be re-written, .. which killed the first stage boot

My partition tables don't get written during installation. All partitions I
create prior to beginning any OS installer. The OS installation partitioner
is used only to designate what goes where, and format selected partitions.

loader in sda1. The fact that /boot was in sda6 seems to be a bug in Grub,
.. however it seems to be in Grub itself, not SuSE as running grub-install
from System Rescue caused the same issue - it cannot write a config with
/boot in a logical partition.

The problem I have with that problem NOW is how did the install get done in
the first place if Grub cannot use /boot in a logical partition??

Sometimes an installer will screw up Grub installation. I've had it happen 3
times in a row regarding RAID systems, but it causes me no significant
problem, because I've previously installed Grub and menu.lst and know it works.

I never put /boot on anything but a primary, while I nearly always have a
primary on each HD that can function as a /boot.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/