Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:32:08 -0800 (PST)
----- Original Message ----

From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Simon Roberts wrote:
I'm having very basic trouble with a modem card. It's an old one, and
it's
possible it's dead, misconfigured, or otherwise not functioning.

However, my problem is more basic than that, even. I can see from hwinfo
that the thing was probed successfully, and it has created /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/ttyS1, but I don't know which is the modem, and which the serial port,
and
I am having difficulty finding out.
Any suggestions on how to identify it, or determine if the card is in
fact
misconfigured in some critical way (or dead)?
1. install wvdial from the repositories

2. then run as root

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

It will simplify your work ;-)

-=terry=-

Indeed :) It seems to be telling me that my modem card is in fact either dead,
or misconfigured beyond redemption.

Thanks, I think I might have wasted a whole bunch of time on that!

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz