[opensuse] deleted my /home directory
  • From: Nkoli <coomac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:09:24 -0500
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:10 AM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John R. Sowden wrote:
On my last upgrade from 10.3 to 11.0, Suse installed the 10.3 root directory
into my home directory, which I never noticed because I don't go there, until
a few days ago when I decided to upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1. As I was
deleting these directories, I accidently deleted my home directory. I don't
keep much there, but linux and its apps do. Is there a recovery.

I've used photorec for recovering files before, but the file system
wasn't ext3. If you were using ext3, you may find this site
informative: http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html.

Yep. Just recover them from your back ups.

LOL I don't think he'd be asking if he had backups.

No one is addressing the issue of the fact that I cannot connect a usb stick
drive in the live mode. Is this the case, or am I trying to do something
that has not been done? The reason that I am using the live mode is because
linux will not boot with the home directory missing.

Several responses already addressed the usb stick - check fdisk -l and
dmesg to see if the drive is detected. The OS just needs /root, /boot,
/etc, /proc and a couple others to boot - /home is only necessary to
actually load your user's desktop. You can still log in as root and do
whatever you need to do. Iirc a home directory is automatically
created if one isn't available... as long as your /etc/fstab isn't
pointing to the non-existent /home.

Nkoli