[opensuse] Installing openSuSE v11.1 on T21 -- Revisited
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 19:40:19 +0200
I posted the earlier phases of this adventure here about a month ago, and
have since "progressed", but always with similar results in the end.

It quickly became clear that the DVD drive had failed in the middle of the
installation, and I replaced it. Using the Installation DVD, I ran the
installation-media verification routine, and found that it was defective
(I have checked the iso file's MD5 code before I burned it), so I burned
another and verified it successfully. I then installed v11.1 from this
valid DVD.

Installation and configuration proceeded normally, but instead of
rebooting to present me with a finished system, it stalled with a dark
screen and unblinking cursor in the upper-left corner. A five minute wait
convinced me that it was going nowhere.

(Two previous installations with the unverified DVD got further than this,
in one case bringing up a finished system which I was able to use for the
rest of the evening, but which failed to boot the following morning.)

In order to try diagnose the reason for all this, I installed Windows XP,
using the entire 20GB HD. This installed faultlessly, and ran perfectly,
even after two shutdowns and reboots. I interpret this as meaning that I
do not have a hardware problem.

At the moment, the only thing I can think of is that the partitioning
scheme I chose is inadequate, because that's the only thing that has not
been tested. I have partitioned the HD as follows (from the beginning of
the disk):

Primary /boot 560MB ext3 (GRUB)
Logical Swap 560MB Swap
Logical / 8GB ext3
Logical /home 10GB ext3

I don't know what else to examine, and would be very grateful for comments
and advice.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on