Re: [opensuse] Installing 11.1 to Unused Partition From Running System?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:44:56 -0800
On Tuesday 06 January 2009 14:15, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if it's feasible (if at all possible) to perform an
openSUSE 11.1 installation to an unused partition on my existing
10.0 system while it (the 10.0 system) is running?

Randall Schulz

I've never tried, but if you're willing to experiment:

Get a VM running based on that empty partition. ...

So, I'm trying this. The first hurdle I've reached is that the 11.1
(x86) installer doesn't see the virtualized SCSI disk, though to the
best of my ability to tell (after several attempts to re-configure it
in VMware just to make sure it was right and choice of a couple of
different SCSI IDs), the hard drive configuration for the virtual
machine is correct.

If it's a useful clue, before I reordered the VMware BIOS boot priority,
I got a "GRUB error" screen when it tried to boot from the hard drive,
which makes me think that the virtual machine _does_ have that virtual
disk configured and accessible.

I'm running what is now a kind of old VMware Workstation (5.5.1). I'd
actually purchased a license upgrade to 6.0 and since then 6.5 has been
released as a free upgrade for 6.0 license holders. I'm preparing to
install 6.5.1, now.

If anyone has any information about why the openSUSE 11.1 installer
didn't see the virtualized physical SCSI drive under 5.5.1 and whether
6.5.1 will fix that or any other (possibly) pertinent information, I'd
love to hear it.

Boot the install DVD in that VM. Install.

Lather, rinse, repeat. (We'll let you know when to break that loop...)

Good Luck
Greg

Randall Schulz