Re: [opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: "L. V. Lammert" <lvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:23:04 -0600
At 11:02 AM 1/7/2009 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

While "living", there is no distinction between logical and primary
partitions, so "life" is possible anywhere.

Of course, .. but some OSs are not as tolerant of logical partitions.

I virtually always create at least 4 primary partitions, the last being the
extended, with the extended always being last among the 4 MBR partition table
entries. That keeps the logical partition progression equal to the physical
partition progression.

Please expand - someone else mentioned keeping the logical partition at the end of the disk. Is there any concrete reason for this? I can't imaging an OS caring that the cylinders/sectors of sda3 are physically located after sda7?

If I don't have any legacy OS on the system, then usually /boot is on #1.

There are no legacy OSs involved, .. SuSE will actually be the primary.

And, I never ever put Grub on the MBR. I have more than 30 working puters, most of which have more than one Linux on
them, and SUSE more than any other.

Now THAT needs explaining, please! I am pretty sure that this is the problem is what hosed the system boot - formatting sda2 & sda3 caused the partition table to be re-written, .. which killed the first stage boot loader in sda1. The fact that /boot was in sda6 seems to be a bug in Grub, .. however it seems to be in Grub itself, not SuSE as running grub-install from System Rescue caused the same issue - it cannot write a config with /boot in a logical partition.

The problem I have with that problem NOW is how did the install get done in the first place if Grub cannot use /boot in a logical partition??

TFTR!

Lee