Re: [opensuse] New partition killed MBR?
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:02:26 -0500
On 2009/01/07 08:52 (GMT-0600) L. V. Lammert composed:

Hate to waste three primary partitions on SuSE. As the most
'sophisticated' OS, it *should* be happy living in an extended partition,
I would think?

While "living", there is no distinction between logical and primary
partitions, so "life" is possible anywhere.

The distinction among logicals and primaries on a legacy BIOS wintel PC is
all about booting, legacy operating systems, and the total number of
partitions possible on a disk.

I virtually always create at least 4 primary partitions, the last being the
extended, with the extended always being last among the 4 MBR partition table
entries. That keeps the logical partition progression equal to the physical
partition progression.

Whenever I have 4 primaries and any legacy OS on the disk, the legacy OS(s)
"C:" goes on 1, or 1 and 2, and #3 is used for a Linux /boot. That means SUSE
is always on one or more logicals here. If I don't have any legacy OS on the
system, then usually /boot is on #1. And, I never ever put Grub on the MBR. I
have more than 30 working puters, most of which have more than one Linux on
them, and SUSE more than any other.
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/