Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:00:09 -0500
Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
On Wed, January 7, 2009 13:23, James Knott wrote:

Mike McMullin wrote:

You can toss this into the pile as well. My 8 year old CNC machine
runs on an equivalent 486 processor (the Motorola variant). I don't see
machine tool manufacturers and their Controller design staff needing
64bit cpu's on the machines.

There's still a lot of 8 bit and even 4 bit code around in embedded
devices. Someone building a custom chip can choose from a wide variety
of CPU architectures, from a logic library and add in memory, I/O etc.,
to get the optimum combination of CPU power, chip real estate etc. in
one package. So, in a modern device, there could be an Intel 4040 at
the core, so long as it meets the overall design requirements.

Agreed.
The Intel 4040 and similar historic CPUs are still in production. Not for
consumers, but for manufacturers of embedded devices.

The actual Intel 4040? Or simply as part of a logic library, used to
design custom chips? I suppose someone could build an actual 4040, from
the library, but using current technology. Logic libraries are used by
chip designers, in the same manner that software libraries are used by
programmers. The chip designer chooses the CPU core, memory, I/O etc.
and creates the desired function for the finished IC.