Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:46:33 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, January 7, 2009 13:23, James Knott wrote:
Mike McMullin wrote:
You can toss this into the pile as well. My 8 year old CNC machine
runs on an equivalent 486 processor (the Motorola variant). I don't see
machine tool manufacturers and their Controller design staff needing
64bit cpu's on the machines.

There's still a lot of 8 bit and even 4 bit code around in embedded
devices. Someone building a custom chip can choose from a wide variety
of CPU architectures, from a logic library and add in memory, I/O etc.,
to get the optimum combination of CPU power, chip real estate etc. in
one package. So, in a modern device, there could be an Intel 4040 at
the core, so long as it meets the overall design requirements.

Agreed.
The Intel 4040 and similar historic CPUs are still in production. Not for
consumers, but for manufacturers of embedded devices.