Re: [opensuse] Workspaces X Wallpapers (KDE4)
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:05:34 +0100
The problem is that KDE 4 has been made the default KDE desktop.
Someone who does not know to look a bit further for 3.5 will choose it
and find a desktop that's not ready. How does that help new users to be
given, by default, a desktop that's not yet ready? By all means
included KDE 4, so that it can be tested, but don't make it default.
Label it as under development and make 3.5 the default.

I helped a new user set up openSUSE 11.1 in the last week of December.
He went with KDE4, and is more than happy with it. In fact, he loves
the interface. The only thing he asked was how to get his desktop to
work like he's used to from the Windows world... showed him that
setting and he was off and running.

Almost everything people are missing from KDE4 are the extra things
that we are used to from KDE3. A new user doesn't know about multiple
desktops (as an example) let alone different wallpapers per desktop.
Note, I am NOT saying this is justification for not having such a
feature in KDE4.1... just putting this into perspective. From my
observations of new users using 11.1 and KDE4 as shipped with 11.1,
there is no issue. It works, they like it, and they are not
experiencing any issues with it, and I am not getting support calls on
it. As far as these new users are concerned, KDE4 is just fine.

C.