Re: [opensuse] Re: Intermittent network access problem
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:35:23 -0500
Lars Müller wrote:
On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:49:39AM -0500, James Knott wrote:

Hugo Palma wrote:

Well, awnsering my own question and after 2 days of fighting this
problem some guy just came to my pc and solved it in two seconds.
It seems that someone here decided to use a fixed IP and chose the IP
that the dhcp was always assigning to my mac address. So, it was
simply an IP conflict.

Still, shouldn't a nice popup show up indicating this error ? That
would have saved my two days of problems.

The problem is how to detect this situation. Some DHCP servers will
ping an address, before issuing one, though I don't think that would
work, on a renewal. Also, with switches, it's difficult to even watch
the network, to see if someone has grabbed your address. All you can
do, if you suspect this, is have someone else ping your IP address, to
verify the MAC address.

/etc/sysconfig/network/config:CHECK_DUPLICATE_IP has to be "yes" by
default. At the moment this is no and this is wrong in the majority of
cases.

But a change will only address the issue on the low level. We also need
to inform the user about the address conflict.

Lars

I hadn't heard of that option. Is packet sockets enabled by default?
What happens if a duplicate is found? What happens if a DHCP address
has been assigned and then someone manually assigns that address on
another computer, which IIRC is the case in the original message?