Re: [opensuse] Re: Intermittent network access problem
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:49:39 -0500
Hugo Palma wrote:
Well, awnsering my own question and after 2 days of fighting this
problem some guy just came to my pc and solved it in two seconds.
It seems that someone here decided to use a fixed IP and chose the IP
that the dhcp was always assigning to my mac address. So, it was
simply an IP conflict.

Still, shouldn't a nice popup show up indicating this error ? That
would have saved my two days of problems.

The problem is how to detect this situation. Some DHCP servers will
ping an address, before issuing one, though I don't think that would
work, on a renewal. Also, with switches, it's difficult to even watch
the network, to see if someone has grabbed your address. All you can
do, if you suspect this, is have someone else ping your IP address, to
verify the MAC address.