Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:23:41 -0500
Mike McMullin wrote:
You can toss this into the pile as well. My 8 year old CNC machine
runs on an equivalent 486 processor (the Motorola variant). I don't see
machine tool manufacturers and their Controller design staff needing
64bit cpu's on the machines.

There's still a lot of 8 bit and even 4 bit code around in embedded
devices. Someone building a custom chip can choose from a wide variety
of CPU architectures, from a logic library and add in memory, I/O etc.,
to get the optimum combination of CPU power, chip real estate etc. in
one package. So, in a modern device, there could be an Intel 4040 at
the core, so long as it meets the overall design requirements.