[opensuse] X11 crash and loss of KDE settings in 11.1
  • From: Josef Wolf <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:38:57 +0100
Hello,

I have a freshly installed opensuse-11.1 with kde4. I was logged in, and
the desktop seemed to work fine (AFAICS, I'm still used to kde3).

After a while, X11 died. At that time, I was not working at the computer
at all, I was just logged into kde and watching some show on TV. Two
firefox instances were running at that time: one showing the opensuse
build service tutorial, the other showing the kde tutorial. Both launched
from the splash screen that is shown the very first time one logs into
KDE.

After X11 died, kdm was restarted, and I logged in again. But this time,
most of the kde settings were lost:

- the transparent desktop folder was missing
- all the icons in the control panel (including the chameleon button)
were missing
- the "logout" and "lock" buttons in the control panel disappeared

Next, I renamed my original home directory (so I have a backup for
investigation), and created a new one. After next login the desktop
came back again as it was at the very first login.

Now I have two questions:

1. what can I do to find out the reason for the crash?

2. is there any chance to bring my old directory back to live with
the old settings? I consider it to be very impractical to
loose all settings every time X11 crashes.

Thanks,