Re: [opensuse] Sound question
  • From: Koenraad Lelong <k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:59:49 +0100
Jose Thadeu Cavalcante schreef:
Hi,

My computer has a motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35 family. In the schematic in manual is showed an Intel ICH9 sound processor, in audio section of product specification is showed a Codec Realtek ALC889A.

openSUSE 11.1 detect an Intel ICH9 family soundcard, but, at least, no sound in KDE 4.1.3. After some install and uninstall of the soundcard (yast), I observe that KDE Phonon system refuse Intel ICH9 and put as your default soundcard the Realtek ALC889A.

My question is: how Phonon obtain the right information about soundcard and yast not do?
Thank you
Thadeu

Hi,
I'm no expert, but I had/have similar problems.
What I learned is this :
Intel HDA is a sound-architecture that has a front-end : ICH9 (ICH8, ... ?) and a backend : yours is an ALC889A, mine is an ALC883.
I had to configure the alsa-driver to use the right parameters. See in the driver-documentation of snd_hda_intel and search for ALC889 (if it's already implemented).
I can't give more information because I don't have 11.1 system at hand and my 'problem' system is at home.
It's a problem system because I can't use my 'front' and 'back' inputs/outputs independently and other sound-related problems (like recording). With OS10.3 I have to compile drivers for sound and network. OS11.0 also had sound-problems so I installed my old Soundblaster-live card but this wasn't acceptable either. I did have a try with 11.1/64 but I didn't have time yet to fully test all sound I need, so I'm still running 10.3.

I hope this gives you a starting-point.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong
begin:vcard
fn:Koenraad Lelong
n:Lelong;Koenraad
org:ACE electronics
adr:;;IZ Webbekom 2118;Diest;VlaBra;3290;Belgie
email;internet:k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:R&D Manager
tel;work:+32 13 531906
tel;fax:+32 13 531908