Re: [opensuse] should i go with 64bit??
  • From: Linux <hans.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 07:58:14 +0700
David C. Rankin wrote:
Linux wrote:

hi...
i hv Core 2 Duo processor and 2 GB memory on my notebook and i m going
to have a fresh install for opensuse 11.1. From opensuse website, it
says for my spec, I should go with 64 bit version. What is the plus
minus of 32 bit and 64 bit?? Should I go with 64 bit?? Could 64 bit runs
Compiz?

In short, if you are going to upgrade despite the cautions, then Yes,

Right now my x86_64 install is behaving much better than the i586
install I
have. Can't explain it, but it is. I am beginning to suspect a broken ATI
driver on the i586 install.

I tried 64 for one day now. everything looks good and i can get almost
all the programs i need to run. 2 notes : Skype doesnt has 64 version,
so i need to install some 32bit lib. And i can't get GnoMenu to work
until now, dont know why. It worked fine on 32 bit version.