Re: [opensuse] question about zypper dup
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 01:52:02 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2009-01-07 at 01:20 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

In Gentoo and Debian, the package managers first get all the packages
and only when they have them, they start to install. in OpenSuse the
package manager downloads one package, installs, then downloads the
next, installs, etc.

Why does zypper work that way, in contrast to emerge and aptitude?

It saves disk space. The devs chose that strategy as they could have
chosen the other. You'd have to ask them to know the whys. Personally, I'd
like to be able to choose strategy.

Also what happens when one package depends on another but one of them
fails to download when the other is already installed?

Good grief! :-}

It will have to keep using the old version, I suppose. That's one reason I
prefer to use the old upgrade via dvd method, although I use zypper dup
for factory.

I'm sorry, my mistake. I wrote 'zypper dup' but I meant 'zypper up'. No
distro upgrade, just updates&patches.