Re: [opensuse] Is 11.1 and kde3 really that broken??
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:17:30 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-06 at 09:18 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 09:05, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yep, the three. The guess is that beagle exercises the filesystem,
perhaps by using a rare functionality, that triggers this fault.
There could be other programs triggering this, too: no way to know,
since we plain users do not know what the problem really is (Bug
448007).

That makes me wonder if the activity of, say, Google Desktop might not
expose one to similar risk of a crash.

Who knows? But my guess is that the use some "clever" or "advanced" function that is little used and little tested.

And yes, this or something very similar also affected 11.0 at the
beginning. Even now my 11.0 likes to lock about once a month, reason
unknown.

My 10.0 system does this, too, with about the same frequency. It's
usually in conjunction with disk activity (if I'm around and using the
system when it happens and the monitor is not in the screen saver or in
power-save mode, I'll see the System Monitor dock applet shoing a lot
of green (I/O wait) in the CPU column). Since the lock-up is, as far as
I can tell, total (no virtual console switching, to SSH access, mouse
frozen, caps- and num-lock lights non-responsive, no response of any
sort), I'm always forced to do a reset or power cycle and thus never
get any information on what's really going wrong.

Exactly, same thing.

Notice that no filesystem is completely safe: for instance, I have
opened bugzillas (Bug 345039) against xfs crashing the system, when
you use the combination of xfs, encryption, and large file write.

My problem with XFS has been limited to files containing all zeros if
they were in use (i.e., if they were recently written) when one of the
aforementioned lock-ups (or the occasional power failure) occurs.
That's annoying, but the files in question have always been those for
which I have backups or are inconsequential, so it hasn't been a
tragedy when it does happen.

Xfs can allocate large files on a single call, I understand. It is one of the new functionalities added to ext4, I think they call it "extents". Reiserfs might have it, too, dunno. This thing allows xfs, for instance, to delete a large file (gigs) virtually instantly, while ext3 takes some long seconds to do so.

So far, I haven't lost data on these lockups, but... I might. Eventually, I will :-(

Thanks for the information.

Welcome!

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.