Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:04:37 -0500
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Per Jessen escribió:

Just run the 32bit version instead, and your
server will be fine.

No, just buy more ram, it is very cheap nowdays...

Well, some time ago, I discarded one of my old motherboards because I
wanted to upgrade its ram, and found that a 128M stick cost far more
than a 1G stick of current technology.

Rui, why can't he set up a swap file under vfat? Windows has supported
swap files for a long time, now, and I recall reading that there's no
longer the performance hit that swap files used to suffer vs. swap
partitions under linux. Simply setting up a swap file of a couple of GB
should take care of these problems, though you might have to defrag the
disk first to get a contiguous area for the swap.

John Perry