Re: [opensuse] Finding a modem
  • From: Teruel de Campo MD <chusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:18:06 -0700
On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 12:22 -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm having very basic trouble with a modem card. It's an old one, and it's
possible it's dead, misconfigured, or otherwise not functioning.

However, my problem is more basic than that, even. I can see from hwinfo
that the thing was probed successfully, and it has created /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/ttyS1, but I don't know which is the modem, and which the serial port,
and I am having difficulty finding out.

I tried using minicom to connect to the thing and sending it "AT" and "ATZ"
commands (memory vaguely suggested that one of these was supposed to get a
reply from the modem) but I couldn't get a response out of either
/dev/ttyS0 or S1.

Any suggestions on how to identify it, or determine if the card is in fact
misconfigured in some critical way (or dead)?

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether
a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

--

1. install wvdial from the repositories

2. then run as root

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf