Re: [opensuse] Is 11.1 and kde3 really that broken??
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:05:33 +0100 (CET)

On Tuesday, 2009-01-06 at 07:25 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Why should that matter?

Because on 11.1, it matters. There is an open bugzilla, re reiser and
beagle crashing machines.

Is it the combination of all three? 11.1 + ReiserFS + Beagle? Or is it
just 11.1 and Reiser?

Yep, the three. The guess is that beagle exercises the filesystem, perhaps by using a rare functionality, that triggers this fault. There could be other programs triggering this, too: no way to know, since we plain users do not know what the problem really is (Bug 448007).

And yes, this or something very similar also affected 11.0 at the beginning. Even now my 11.0 likes to lock about once a month, reason unknown.

Notice that no filesystem is completely safe: for instance, I have opened bugzillas (Bug 345039) against xfs crashing the system, when you use the combination of xfs, encryption, and large file write.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.