Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 18:00:56 +0100
Rui Santos wrote:

What would really be a showstopper was to buy extra RAM to get the
same performance just to use 64bits architecture.

There is no way around that - as a rule of thumb, a 64bit system will
use up to twice the amount of RAM of the equivalent 32bit system.
Every pointer and every integer is twice the size.

I also found contradicting information on 64bits vs 32bits. Bottom
line, if I can get a performance boost of 10-20% just for running
64bits, I'll go for it.

Is your software CPU bound? If not, you'll never get anywhere 10%.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Zürich