Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:59:58 -0500
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well... the purpose is the cost and power usage. However an extra 512MB
or 1.5GB is not a showstopper. What would really be a showstopper was to
buy extra RAM to get the same performance just to use 64bits
architecture. I also found contradicting information on 64bits vs 32
bits. Bottom line, if I can get a performance boost of 10-20% just for
running 64bits, I'll go for it. Does anyone has any Knowledge/experience
on switching from 32bits to 64bits ?

I run 2 machines on 64 and the rest on 32. No real issues. I want to
do a 32bit install on one of the 64 bit machines just to see if my
mencoder fps rates change any.

It would also be nice to take advantage of the Execute Disable Bit
without using PAE Kernel.

I've had to remove the PAE kernel on several systems because of
instability on 11.0.