Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:37:04 +0000
Per Jessen wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

Per Jessen escribió:

Just run the 32bit version instead, and your
server will be fine.

No, just buy more ram, it is very cheap nowdays...

Yeah, that's true too. I just thought Rui had some specific purpose for
only having 512Mb RAM.

Well... the purpose is the cost and power usage. However an extra 512MB
or 1.5GB is not a showstopper. What would really be a showstopper was to
buy extra RAM to get the same performance just to use 64bits
architecture. I also found contradicting information on 64bits vs 32
bits. Bottom line, if I can get a performance boost of 10-20% just for
running 64bits, I'll go for it. Does anyone has any Knowledge/experience
on switching from 32bits to 64bits ?
It would also be nice to take advantage of the Execute Disable Bit
without using PAE Kernel.

/Per

--
Rui Santos