Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 on a 512MB RAM system
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 15:16:52 +0000
Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Tuesday, 2009-01-06 at 14:00 -0000, Rui Santos wrote:

Thanks for the info Anders. Well... ext4 could be a solution :)

Ha! No, the real solution is to add swap, even if you don't like the
idea. That system of yours is scarce on memory, and memory hjungry, it
will hit the ceiling if not for one reason for another.

Rui said he forced the situation (fsck being oom killed) by only leaving
90Mb of free memory - I'm not sure what the purpose of that was.

The purpose was that a few applications were crashing randomly, and fsck
was one of them. Since I thought 90 MB was far more than enough to
complete the operation, it was what I did...
Remember that the fsck is on a vfat file system. If you want to
reproduce it, build a 250GB vfat file system with 35000 files with 850MB
and try it. As I also stated in other email of this thread, I have a
openSUSE 11.0 x86_64 with 256MB of RAM that does not crash ( mainly for
rsyncd ).I was just trying to identify a BUG that, it isn't.

I've just installed an 11.1 system myself, although on 32bit hardware.
In init level 1, only some 33M of memory is used, and I have no
problems booting up and fscking without swap.

/Per

--
Rui Santos
http://www.ruisantos.com/